Review of Not Fishy Enough

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Review of Not Fishy Enough

Post by Priya Murugesan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Not Fishy Enough" by Briton Kolber.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

This is a very unique book that explores self-acceptance and many other factors related to it. Usually, self-help books have little stories or anecdotes in them. But as this is a children's book, the story comprises the main part, with a detailed discussion section at the end. This concept attracted me a lot. It makes the book more captivating and easy to understand. The author believes in stories to make ideas stick and to deliver his messages. He uses that in the right way to enunciate his views. The discussion and commentary part at the end is mainly for adults. It delves deeply into each topic intertwined in the story and imprints the concepts in the reader's mind. The questions provided after each topic can be used to initiate topic-related conversations with children and help them understand each concept better. 

The story follows the adventurous journey of Edwin, who, according to his family and friends, is a fish. But he doesn't feel fishy enough, as he is, in reality, a crab. He lives in a tide pool away from all other crabs, which magnifies his problem. At the suggestion and compulsion of his family and friends, he tries to cover his crab body and blend in with his fishy tribe. But he fails utterly. When he is accidentally thrown into the ocean, his life changes altogether. What characters will he meet on the way? Will he discover himself? Will he rejoin his family? These questions are answered in the rest of the story.

This parable emphasizes the concept of self-acceptance. The author believes in the following quote:

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to
climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

I love the marine world. So I immersed myself effortlessly in the story. While reading, I was reminded of 'The Ugly Duckling' story and 'Finding Nemo' movie, which, as mentioned by the author, are his inspirations.

Each of the characters is unique and represents different kinds of people in our world. I can easily empathize with Edwin when he tries and fails to be a fish. Otto, the octopus, is very fascinating and funny. Riley is a perfect example of a person scared of societal rules. The author says that society expects a lot from us, and there are rules to be followed. He insists that we have to decide what is ultimately good for us. Daedalus is the first to note Edwin's uniqueness, and he is also super humorous. He often thinks he is in a children's story and looks right at us through the book. This unique concept breaks the barrier between the reader and the book. It reminded me of the quote, "All the world's a stage, and all the men and women are merely players." 

The author presents valuable life lessons clearly and understandably, making them easy to comprehend. He teaches us that we are all unique and don't need to blend in. The author rightly says that a good comedy will eradicate sadness and make us relieved and safe. He has a good sense of humor, and you can witness it throughout the book. He shares the incident of seeing the empty crab shells and reveals that it became the seed of his story. He implies that molting is symbolic of growing in life, and one has to endure pain to grow. He further adds that doing something new will always be uncomfortable. He values the importance of self-love and asks us to stay kind to ourselves. I learned new concepts like "the 90-second rule" and "the Laws of Jante." As the book says, most of the time, comparison is just a thief of joy.

The 14th section and the second part in the seventh section are controversial. The author himself mentions that in the book. Traditional people might not feel comfortable and would want to skip it.

I didn't notice any typographical errors, and the editing is exceptional.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book, rating it 5 out of 5. This book is for children who feel different and struggle to accept themselves. It will also help adults who need a dose of self-acceptance

Not Fishy Enough
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Risper Ouma Anyango
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-anyango.html
Latest Review: Marcus Douglas Presents Echoes of Time by Marcus Douglas

Post by Risper Ouma Anyango »

I read this book recently and was quite humbled by its contents. I dearly loved Edwin's story and that part if the octopus who was struggling not to harm Edwin after rescuing it made me think alot about who people are. Am glad that you too enjoyed the book just as I did
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: The Foundlings and Fisherman from Tumby by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

Fantastic review! I've read this book as well. I was particularly moved by the author's emphasis on compassion towards the struggles of others, highlighting empathy as a foundational element in creating a society that is more inclusive and welcoming. Truly an inspiring message!
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

Risper Ouma Lisa Anyango wrote: 04 Apr 2024, 21:51 I read this book recently and was quite humbled by its contents. I dearly loved Edwin's story and that part if the octopus who was struggling not to harm Edwin after rescuing it made me think alot about who people are. Am glad that you too enjoyed the book just as I did
Thank you for reading my review! Yes, it is a book to be enjoyed :)
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

Cristina-Ioana Toader wrote: 05 Apr 2024, 02:03 Fantastic review! I've read this book as well. I was particularly moved by the author's emphasis on compassion towards the struggles of others, highlighting empathy as a foundational element in creating a society that is more inclusive and welcoming. Truly an inspiring message!
Thanks for stopping by and reading my review!
Osvaldo Borghese
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osvaldo-borghese.html
Latest Review: The Red Movement by Shadan Kapri
fav_author_id: 26410
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 85%

Post by Osvaldo Borghese »

This book for children looks to be nice and interesting, I would love to read it in the future and to make it read to my daughter, she likes sea stories like "Finding Nemo". Thanks for your review, great job!
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

Osvaldo Borghese wrote: 06 Apr 2024, 02:35 This book for children looks to be nice and interesting, I would love to read it in the future and to make it read to my daughter, she likes sea stories like "Finding Nemo". Thanks for your review, great job!
Thanks for your appreciation. Do read the book and share your views.
Osvaldo Borghese
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osvaldo-borghese.html
Latest Review: The Red Movement by Shadan Kapri
fav_author_id: 26410
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 85%

Post by Osvaldo Borghese »

You are welcome.
RJ Reviews
Currently Reading: Weep For Love
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rj-reviews.html
Latest Review: Always Losing Something by Max Green
Reading Device: 1400697484
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 112%

Post by RJ Reviews »

I loved this book. It is rich in metaphors and teaches some very relevant and important lessons. Impeccable editing enhances the reading experience. Your rating is well justified and I enjoyed reading your thorough review. Looking forward to read more from you.
"The gods grow jealous of too much contentment anywhere, and they show their displeasure all of a sudden.” - R. K. Narayan, Maldudi Days
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

RJ Reviews wrote: 07 Apr 2024, 02:26 I loved this book. It is rich in metaphors and teaches some very relevant and important lessons. Impeccable editing enhances the reading experience. Your rating is well justified and I enjoyed reading your thorough review. Looking forward to read more from you.
Thank you for your kind words and appreciation!
Mfon Ukim
Currently Reading: Popop's Grimoire
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Mfon Ukim »

Not fishy Enough I'd say is a great book and a must get, sincerely. We live in a world full of fake life and needless comparison. If we could learn self-acceptance, the world would be a better place.
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

Mfon Ukim wrote: 07 Apr 2024, 05:09 Not fishy Enough I'd say is a great book and a must get, sincerely. We live in a world full of fake life and needless comparison. If we could learn self-acceptance, the world would be a better place.
True words!
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Off Limits by Stacy Elaine
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 70%

Post by Laney K »

This sounds like an interesting children's book with a lot of important lessons. Thanks for the engaging review!
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

Laney K wrote: 07 Apr 2024, 06:26 This sounds like an interesting children's book with a lot of important lessons. Thanks for the engaging review!
Thanks for stopping by and reading my review😊
R Chinaza Onwuka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Banished
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-chinaza-onwuka.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by R Chinaza Onwuka »

This book approaches a very delicate topic from soft angle. Most people struggled with self discovery at some point in their lives. Not Fishy enough don't seem to be the regular self help book.
Last edited by R Chinaza Onwuka on 08 Apr 2024, 11:02, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”