The Next Installments in the Series

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
khusnick
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khusnick.html
Latest Review: The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Re: The Next Installments in the Series

Post by khusnick »

I hope we to see more of Toni's actual superpowers. I like that he is humanized and made relatable to kids, but I think that kids will enjoy to see more superhero stuff than just a boy cleaning in a cape.
Dabuddhababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dabuddhababe.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Dabuddhababe »

Different activities would be great for kids. The zoo would make for good illustrations, and there is a lot for a superhero to do there. My wish for the new installments is that the books grow with the reader. I know she is going for simple sentences but she could lengthen them slightly. The responsibilities would grow with the reader.
Storm+
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storm.html
Latest Review: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future by Martha R. Bireda

Post by Storm+ »

I think that the lack of direction at the end of the first installment was actually a strong point. Because there is no emerging plot, the author can write books picturing Toni doing any and all things without having to relate them to one another. Also, it means that children could read whichever Toni books they have a particular interest in without needing to read all of the others and without having to read them in any particular order. I think it's a good thing that the possibilities are so endless.
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

I think it would be fun if Toni found a Superhero sidekick. Maybe Toni the Superhero meets his next door neighbor who is another little kid who wears a mask.

(There are no supehero similes) :character-bowser:
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I love the holiday themed ideas. As a kid, I enjoyed reading books that focused on celebrations. She could do travel to various countries, visiting grandparents..I think she has a lot to choose from in topics and the illustrations will be a nice touch.
Everything happens for a reason...
prinjeh18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prinjeh18.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by prinjeh18 »

holsam_87 wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 00:02 I think the repetitive nature of the writing will continue. It gives a chance to use sight words over and over, and it will build their confidence in their reading skills.
I'm thinking the same thing. Hoping for more valuable words will come out. Probably, outdoor games will increase.
prinjeh18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prinjeh18.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by prinjeh18 »

cpru68 wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 00:16 I love the holiday themed ideas. As a kid, I enjoyed reading books that focused on celebrations. She could do travel to various countries, visiting grandparents..I think she has a lot to choose from in topics and the illustrations will be a nice touch.
I love your idea because I love holidays as well. So excited about this topic if the author will include especial holidays. Hoping, Christmas will be included as it is fast approaching.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

prinjeh18 wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 01:07
holsam_87 wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 00:02 I think the repetitive nature of the writing will continue. It gives a chance to use sight words over and over, and it will build their confidence in their reading skills.
I'm thinking the same thing. Hoping for more valuable words will come out. Probably, outdoor games will increase.
There could be a sports book where "Toni plays" is a repetitive phrase or a vacation book where "Toni visits" if Base wanted to continue with being very simplistic and having only one verb used in each. She could also begin to add adjectives and adverbs. Toni pets a furry cat, Toni pets a colorful parrot, Toni pets a slimy lizard. :)
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

prinjeh18 wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 01:07
That's what I'm guessing, might be good to do some fill in the blank activities to continue building letter and sound recognition.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3097
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Kibet Hillary »

It will be good to see how the next book will be like. I believe that it will be good to explore other activities too. The kids who are too read this book are probably still young to begin reading some entire plot of a story. It will be good to include maybe a little story or one of the expeditions of Toni such as doing something that will add to the superhero aspect. But this should not be something that requires supernatural powers since these scenes are all over right now, especially in the film industry.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Zain A Blade
Favorite Book: Find You and Find Everything
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain-a-blade.html
Latest Review: Swordpoint by David Crane

Post by Zain A Blade »

Toni could graduate to doing real superhero stuff.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Could be a good idea to make multiple Toni books. Children can really get to know the character and enjoy him.
:techie-studyingbrown:
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

I think the author should also focus on some other aspects of Toni's personality to make it more versatile and interesting.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

Maybe the other installments will feature Toni's growth by an year or two. He might learn other things and help the readers learn them too. There's a wide pool of possibilities. Let's see what the next one will bring.
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

The titles of the other books were listed. He will be doing everyday activities that children that age can do and understand. There should not be a huge plot because one must remember that this book was written for children that don't know how to read yet.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”