Opinions on the cover and ilustrations

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Re: Opinions on the cover and ilustrations

Post by Lil Reads »

kfwilson6 wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 11:54
Lil Reads wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 23:09 I really agree with you about how the art style may make it easier for children to mimic. I remember one of the creators of Phineas and Ferb explained that the choice of art style - using basic yet distinct shapes for each character - was deliberate so that kids to copy it. I know I got frustrated when I tried to copy more detailed illustrations as a kid.
At least Toni's head isn't shaped like a triangle. I love Phineas and Ferb. That completely makes sense. Children may want to draw their favorite characters and too much complexity can make that a daunting task. Excellent observation.
XD There were so many triangles!! I love it too. Thanks; my cousin who is a really talented artist had to learn like that too: experiment with more basic art then slowly add details.
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
SAMINA1122
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by SAMINA1122 »

The combination of the words and actions with visual concepts lead to good learning project to practice as compare to learn by heart and by imaginations. The colourful content are really appealing to kids to focus what is taught in this book by portraying the character of super hero. Definitely cover effects the minds of kids.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

ZenaLei7 wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 12:09 I really like the illustrations in this book. They are very bright and colorful and each picture helps to illustrate what Toni is doing. The pictures can help kids to figure what the sentences are based on the activities that Toni is doing.
The cover alone is very eye-catching. As children love colors, so it's very appealing for them.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

daydreaming reader wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 20:14 I thought the illustrations were great. They reflected the sentences, and because of this, I think that the illustrations can have an impact on the intended reader's confidence.
Yes, every illustrations properly explains the Toni's tasks. And children who don't know how to read can imagine what the Toni is doing just by watching illustrations.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 07:49
daydreaming reader wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 20:14 I thought the illustrations were great. They reflected the sentences, and because of this, I think that the illustrations can have an impact on the intended reader's confidence.
Yes, every illustrations properly explains the Toni's tasks. And children who don't know how to read can imagine what the Toni is doing just by watching illustrations.
That's a good point. The illustrations are pretty simplistic and bright. So even the ones too young to start reading may enjoy having someone just flip through the pictures with them and point out objects like cat, crayons, ball, pool, etc.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I thought the cover and illustrations were very good. They were very colorful and really explained what Toni was doing all the time. I think that small children will really like it.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
Nena_Morena
Favorite Book: The Notebook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nena-morena.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by Nena_Morena »

I loved the illustrations, very colorful and energetic. I'm sure kids will love them because they not only make the story feel more real but also it makes it easier for the kids that are having trouble understanding the writing.
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Post by Raya raymond »

I don't really know much about giving the children confidence while reading cause I've not read with a child to experience that. However, I think the cover was done well but there's a possibility the children who read this might try to copy some of the positions Tony is drawn in and get hurt.
onixpam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onixpam.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by onixpam »

The illustrations are well done, My daughter is capable of identifying every text by the images, so I think the drawings are excellent.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

I really liked the illustrations - it helps young kids to connect to the story more by seeing it visually. I actually loved the drawing of the fruit and vegetables on Toni's plate. I can imagine it subtly encouraging kids to eat more fruit and vegetables!

I like the cover of the book too. Firstly, it's colourful and there are a lot of things going on in the cover. It attracts children visually. And then seeing the boy in a superhero costume whilst being surrounded by positive things (the books, the fruit and vegetables, the dusters, etc), subtly influences kids in a good way.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I really enjoy the graphics in this book. The colors are pleasant bright hues but not too high-chroma. The shapes are really simple and repetitive, which helps young readers stay oriented to the story and the characters. There were just a couple of times when I felt the graphic was confusing or inadequate. For the most part, I think they were very effective.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nma26 »

Yes, the illustrations give children confidence while reading.Also, the cover is bright and colourful; which suits kids perfectly.
kelvinmwaniki17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvinmwaniki17.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by kelvinmwaniki17 »

I think the illustrations are great and are suitable for the book.
Waragu Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waragu-samuel.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Waragu Samuel »

Whatever it is, children books must have illustrations. The number and size of them should depend on the age of children targeted. In Toni the Superhero, I think the cover illustrations are good and great. I have no problem with them. They make the book more likeable.
“If things start happening, don't worry, don't stew, just go right along and you'll start happening too.”~Dr. Theodor Seuss Geisel (1904-1991)
Alena_Surya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alena-surya.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Alena_Surya »

I felt some illustrations were out of perspective espescially the dining room scene.

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”