Re: Did you find the author Inspiring?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2019 Book of the month, "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Re: Did you find the author Inspiring?

Post by briellejee »

Nym182 wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 11:13 I am only about 10 or so and I am already inspired by the author! I have a tremendous respect for hard workers and those who strive to make not only their own lives better, but those around him.
Wow, you might be the youngest member in this platform! Glad to see you here, discussing and being open-minded. I agree that making others lives better is ten times more wonderful than making your own life better. The impact one can make to others is a ripple that is much more inspirational and humbling. :techie-studyingbrown:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

cornelia_SD wrote: 09 Jul 2019, 05:30 The perseverance and determination of the writer is very inspiring. It's difficult to live in a third world country, life will never be easy if you want an honest and good living. I hope there would be more people like him.
I agree. Living in third-world countries makes life even harder, especially for children. I read this book, Gringo, and it opened my eyes how privileged people are in first-world countries.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Nisha Ward wrote: 09 Jul 2019, 12:25
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 09 Jul 2019, 11:48
Heatholt wrote: 09 Jul 2019, 11:34 I find the author to be very inspiring. His struggles and show of strength would be a great example for young people.
As a young man, he faced alot of things from taking care of his sister, going to the market for the family and doing chores, having to suffer the accusations his aunt placed on him, and all the while he had to complete his school assignments and manage to be the best student not only in his school but the entire country as well. That is the very definition of Inspiring.
It's even more so when you consider that he continued this into adulthood.
Agreed. Adulthood could change a person. The world is just much harsher when you're not a child anymore. I'm also in awe that the author was able to keep that up. It just meant that it is in his nature.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

briellejee wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 09:54

As a young man, he faced alot of things from taking care of his sister, going to the market for the family and doing chores, having to suffer the accusations his aunt placed on him, and all the while he had to complete his school assignments and manage to be the best student not only in his school but the entire country as well. That is the very definition of Inspiring.
Agreed. Adulthood could change a person. The world is just much harsher when you're not a child anymore. I'm also in awe that the author was able to keep that up. It just meant that it is in his nature.
Growing up knowing only hardship and pain was hard for the author. Facing racism and discrimination based on poverty was even more so, but the author never let that hinder him from what he was determined to achieve. That was very inspiring to me.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Anthony__ wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 02:20 I admire the resilience he exhibited which I think it is attributed to his upbringing.
I must admit that growing up with the kind of the responsibilities that the author hard, along with a vindictive aunt who wanted to see him beaten, made the author very resilient. This level of resilience served him marvelously in the course of his life.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Ekta Swarnkar wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 11:09 Definitely I am inspired by his brilliance (in studies), and his attitude towards problem coming to him.
It was inspiring to see the level of dedication and payout the athor archieved in his education. He would wake up early as a child to try and read ahead of his class just to try and get an edge academically, and this attitude served him well throughout his academic journey.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

DD129 wrote: 28 Jul 2019, 13:31 Tenacity and ambition are very admirable traits, both of which the author has. The fact that he was faced with racism and still aimed to be (and eventually become) a doctor is truly inspiring. Opportunities weren't as easy for him to find compared to his peers, but he was still able to accomplish so much.
What I find inspiring in his career choice was the many careers he could have selected based on money and wealth, but he decided to become a doctor just to be able to help people. That is the very definition of Inspiring. :tiphat:
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Tleathers wrote: 23 Jul 2019, 00:43 He struggled through so much. I wish kids knew what a hard life was, not nor getting the latest technology! We can learn alot from him
I agree, I did not encounter any electronic gadgets or latest technology when the author was young yet he managed to always be the best student in every level of his education, that is definitely inspiring.
Praise1989
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise1989.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Praise1989 »

His determination and consistency is highly inspiring. If it is today's life of words and how children are treated speak far of what they will become I believe this author wouldn't have made it. He inspired me to be focus and what I am presently shouldn't determine my end point but the visions.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

briellejee wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 09:54

It was very inspiring seeing that the resilience, hardwork, determination and bravery the author had as a young child grew with him in adulthood. The obstacles never stopped but he had an amazing foundation to get him through.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Benthic wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 09:43 Not only did I find the author inspiring the author's grit to come of out of a bad situation really motivated me a lot. As I read through the book I saw exactly how he kept his "sword in the scabbard" and how he "imitated the action of the tiger" and "stiffened the screws".
This particular anecdotes by the author are exhibited in the his response to racism, discrimination, hard work, and resilience throughout the book. It was very inspiring finding situations where the author acted rationally to irrational circumstances.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

My highlight for me is the determination he had to excel in his education in spite of the racial biasness that was leveled at him.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 11:56
Benthic wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 09:43 Not only did I find the author inspiring the author's grit to come of out of a bad situation really motivated me a lot. As I read through the book I saw exactly how he kept his "sword in the scabbard" and how he "imitated the action of the tiger" and "stiffened the screws".
This particular anecdotes by the author are exhibited in the his response to racism, discrimination, hard work, and resilience throughout the book. It was very inspiring finding situations where the author acted rationally to irrational circumstances.
It would be hard for someone who has no self-control, especially because people always have a breaking point wherein they cant contain the emotions anymore, especially anger. I, for one, would like to know more how he handled this smoothly.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

shravsi wrote: 25 Jul 2019, 11:24 His ability to take into stride every odd stacked against him in every phase of his life and reach his goal without complaining too much about life being unfair to him and always finding a way to move forward. God helps those who help themselves.
I guess his resilience and mental strength is just that strong. I also believed he matured quite early enough to have done so.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Sushan wrote: 26 Jul 2019, 13:39 Working with set goals, through many obstacles, again and again is definitely impressive
I know right, I mean I for one would ahve gotten tired with all of it considering his childhood experiences. I mean what could possibly keep him going? Or was it that his eyes are only on the goals that made him focused enough to push through every obstacle? :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Discuss "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.”