Questions for the author

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Re: Questions for the author

Post by Kro92813 »

Washboard wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 19:11
Kro92813 wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 20:34
Washboard wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 18:13

I haven't seen the illustrations, since I listened to the book as an audiobook. But the Dali comparison really has me intrigued. I really want to see them now! I may have to get a text copy of the book to see them. Do you know if the author also created the illustrations?
I'm not sure if the author created the illustrations or not, but they were specific to what was about to happen in the chapter. To me they looked like they were digitally made illustrations. They were helpful, but I wouldnt call them stunning by any means. Simple yet effective
Oh ok. So I only missed out a little bit instead of something super important. Haha!
Yes nothing monumental ;) I wouldnt rish out to buy a copy just to see thenpictures... unless, of course, you loved the book that much
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 07:52
Kro92813 wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 07:43
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 23:39

I would definitely like to knowwhere Wolfea is from. She seemed to have a family in Olám Shoné for some time but I still don't understand how she came and went from there.
I'm not sure that wolfea's original family was from Olam shone, because when Will releases her to the pack he describes them as her "new family", implying that she hadnt always been a part of their pack

As far as leaving olam shone? Pg. 315 states "There was no Crystillery lock on this side and no mirror. Fluid Conway had explained that the passage did not lock itself to people leaving Olám Shoné, not unless Fortune Tellers or Fate Sealers lurked on the other side."

So my understanding is Wolfea could have left as she pleased, but getting back in would be the hard part
Well explained and I get that Wolfèa met a new family in Olám Shoné. By your explanation, if Wolfèa was from Olám Shoné then she could have originally left to Echoland where she met Will. Recognize that Wolfèa's interaction with her new family was Will's observation which could be skewered due to never knowing her origins.
That is true - she could have originally had family in olam shone, but would knowing that be vital to the story or change it in any way?
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

:shhh:
Kaylee123 wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 09:41 I would like to ask the author if she ever considered writing the book again from Emmy's point of view. I guess that wouldn't really be a sequel, since it would take place mostly around the same time as the original story.
That would be a neat idea! The book could start even further back. Emmy could use crystilleries to see memories of being taken and her life in shadowpain before being rescued. Then her time living at the orphanage before Will arrives. Alot can happen in 10 years!
ChainsawCat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chainsawcat.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by ChainsawCat »

I would ask the author about the general experience of writing fantasy. Is it strange to move between the world of her fictional universe and the world in which she has to email publishers and wash dishes? Does the ever half-expect to be able to say a spell and make the dishes wash themselves?
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

ChainsawCat wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 21:12 I would ask the author about the general experience of writing fantasy. Is it strange to move between the world of her fictional universe and the world in which she has to email publishers and wash dishes? Does the ever half-expect to be able to say a spell and make the dishes wash themselves?
I got the feeling that Pellucid knew every nook and cranny of the worldshe had created. I can imagine it would be hard to transition between fantasy and realitt
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

The question I have for the author is where she got the inspiration for creating Echoes and the real life explanation for what they are?
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Another question for the author is: What are the behavioural similarities and differences for all Echoes and Sounds? Is it a yin and yang situation or twins situation?
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 02:48 Another question for the author is: What are the behavioural similarities and differences for all Echoes and Sounds? Is it a yin and yang situation or twins situation?
I like this question! The Echo/Sound pairs we are introduced to in the story dont really shed light on the similarities and differences in their personalities
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

When was Shadowpain created and when did people migrate to the land of Olám Shoné?
Only1Cola
Currently Reading: The Age of Innocence
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only1cola.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Only1Cola »

Leah39 wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 08:21 I'd like to also know if there is another book in the works!

Also, there were a lot of Hebrew words used in the book, which I found to be uncommon, but a welcome surprise. Hebrew references are rare to find in books (but I knew as soon as she wrote "Olàm" which means world. I wonder if she has a background in Hebrew language studies?
I’m interested that you mention these words or references from another language. I am from South Africa and one of our eleven official languages is Afrikaans. When I read The Lord of the Rings, I wondered if Tolkien had any link to South Africa because of the many Afrikaans references. I researched him and learned that he was born here! I think it makes a book really interesting when a bit of another culture or language is brought in. This could be a great discussion to have with the author.
SangeethaNarayan
Currently Reading: The Prophet
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sangeethanarayan.html
Latest Review: Wonders in the Waves by Jennifer Collins

Post by SangeethaNarayan »

I would definitely ask her how much of an influence did Harry potter have on her while she was writing the book. And also how did she manage to create a completely different story despite the similarities with Harry Potter. That really amazed me that she could get inspired so perfectly well.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 23:42 When was Shadowpain created and when did people migrate to the land of Olám Shoné?
Good questions! The only answer I found hinting was from queen Illyria. She said: "
Cold-fire mushrooms have rejuvenated us for over two hundred years. But we are dying. Still, never mind about us. We haven’t had visitors from beyond the lake in over a century!”

So atleast 200 years ago
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

sursangeet_2000 wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 18:46 I would definitely ask her how much of an influence did Harry potter have on her while she was writing the book. And also how did she manage to create a completely different story despite the similarities with Harry Potter. That really amazed me that she could get inspired so perfectly well.
I think I read in an I review with her that she was surprised at all of the mentions of it being similar to Harry Potter. It makes me wonder if they were subconscious decisions
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 12:05
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 23:42 When was Shadowpain created and when did people migrate to the land of Olám Shoné?
Good questions! The only answer I found hinting was from queen Illyria. She said: "
Cold-fire mushrooms have rejuvenated us for over two hundred years. But we are dying. Still, never mind about us. We haven’t had visitors from beyond the lake in over a century!”

So atleast 200 years ago
It would be i teresting if the author detailed the creation of Shadowpain and other Fate Sealers-related issues.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 12:07
sursangeet_2000 wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 18:46 I would definitely ask her how much of an influence did Harry potter have on her while she was writing the book. And also how did she manage to create a completely different story despite the similarities with Harry Potter. That really amazed me that she could get inspired so perfectly well.
I think I read in an I review with her that she was surprised at all of the mentions of it being similar to Harry Potter. It makes me wonder if they were subconscious decisions
I thik it was subconcious, she had a unique idea in the Sound -Echo relation and world its only the other things in her World building of Echoland that resemble HP.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”