Any anxiety-reducing methods not mentioned in the book?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2020 Book of the month, " Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Re: Any anxiety-reducing methods not mentioned in the book?

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

:?:
Howlan wrote: 23 Aug 2020, 06:08
Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 22 Aug 2020, 22:03
OB Brian wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 04:59 cluthrie wrote:
> Personally I like animal therapy. Animals are so calming to be around. I
> know horse therapy can be effective for a lot of people. Alas, I don't have
> a horse, but I do have a cat.
>
> Petting a cat is so relaxing, especially when you have one curled up and
> purring in your lap.
I agree. The pur helps remove one's mind from things
My favourite pet is a cat. I also find playing with them to be very calming. From my understanding of this book, what we focus on grows, that's why a little deviation from your focus on stress and anxiety, goes a long way.
Yes animals give us a sense of companionship and interaction that is very relaxing and calming. It is an excellent form of therapy that is widely popular today.
Universally pets have contributed to happiness and joy. Most pet lovers don't even realize it. It's a magnificent phenomena.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Pretty giftee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pretty-giftee.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Pretty giftee »

:!:
Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 22 Aug 2020, 22:18
Pretty giftee wrote: 16 Aug 2020, 17:03 Listen to music has really been of great help to me over the years.the way it help me reduce stress and anxiety by replacing every of fear and insecurities with peace is one thing I still can't explain.
Music is very broad, which type of music is ideal for releasing stress and anxiety?
It depends on the individual and also on the persons mood, because I have different songs for different mood.
himawari333
Currently Reading: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Bookshelf Size: 1291

Post by himawari333 »

I've found that activities that engage your tactile sense is often a good way to cope with anxiety, especially if you're in the middle of an anxiety attack. Whether it be getting your hands dirty through gardening and making things out of clay, or through simple things like petting your dog's fur, washing the dishes, or running your hands and fingers through fabric with a texture you like. The point is to focus on the activity at hand rather than letting your thoughts spiral out of control.
shirleym89
Currently Reading: Mirror, Mirror...?
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirleym89.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by shirleym89 »

Listening to calm music is a method that I believe works very well. I wish that it had been mentioned in the book.
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarnaaman.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

Although I have not come up with a stress-reducing measure, I would like to point that mild stress helps improve performance for many people.
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarnaaman.html

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

Howlan wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 02:02 cluthrie wrote:
> Personally I like animal therapy. Animals are so calming to be around. I
> know horse therapy can be effective for a lot of people. Alas, I don't have
> a horse, but I do have a cat.
>
> Petting a cat is so relaxing, especially when you have one curled up and
> purring in your lap.

Yes I do relate to that. Spending time with your pet is certainly very relaxing and calms you.
Along with pets, spending time with children around 3-5 years of age is also relaxing
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: El espejismo
Bookshelf Size: 2412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: The Perfect Life by Anne Callahan
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

As many members have mentioned, creative outlets are a great way to reduce anxiety. Crafting, coloring, crocheting, or whatever you enjoy can help a lot!
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

While the book is comprehensive and very impressive, I didn't come across animal therapy, especially equestrian application. Horses are big and powerful, and when people suffering from anxiety get horses to trust and obey them, when they become friends with this beautiful and big animal that doesn't bully them, they gain confidence in themselves, and anxiety disappears. I was reading about equestrian therapy for anxiety earlier this year and it has proven very helpful for people dealing with anxiety.
Kreads1
Currently Reading: The Once and Future Witches
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kreads1.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kreads1 »

I agree with others, creative outlets are wonderful for relieving stress and anxiety. The adult coloring book craze that still exists is a good example.

I read to reduce stress and anxiety. I have a brain that overthinks, and it’s especially hard to get to sleep at night. If I read, I get lost in a book, and my brain stops focusing on those thoughts that keep me awake.

I also feel animals reduce stress and anxiety. The power of the animal connection is strong! Studies have shown that petting a cat lowers your blood pressure, for example.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Lunastella wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 12:55 As many members have mentioned, creative outlets are a great way to reduce anxiety. Crafting, coloring, crocheting, or whatever you enjoy can help a lot!
Yes, you are definitely right. My mom swears by knitting. She says that is very relaxing. I think the key is to find right method for yourself.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
miatyae
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by miatyae »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 01 Aug 2020, 08:09 Grounding onself in your surroundings with three steps;
-touch
-see
-hear
Find three things around you and describe them.
I found that very helpful.

Yawn. It is very effective way of calming!!

There is also progressive muscle relaxations when you tense and relax your muscles.

I liked the part of breathing it is described really well. I also would just add. Lying on the floor putting hand on stomach and just slowly breathing. You can also count to five breaths. Nothing higher because your brain will wonder off.

There are some emotional coping skills that I think will not help only with anxiety but to stay metaly healthy;
-jornaling
-making a grateful list
-pray
-having a playlist of music
-taking about our emotions
-allow yourself to cry
-write a song
As someone who takes joy into writing music, I love how you brought that up because I tell people that sometimes when you cannot put your thoughts into words you sort of have to start singing at people- and also if you ever publish your music, it actually unites people. I just wanted to point this out because many people limit the therapeutic properties of music to just listening to it.
miatyae
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by miatyae »

Something that I like to do is just sit for a moment and figure out what exactly is making me so worried- whether it be rational or not- and then look at how and if I can resolve this issue and if not, what I could focus on instead to make resolving the issue possible. I do this because sometimes I simply cannot distract myself and it's better to bite the bullet.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

miatyae wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 16:06
AntonelaMaria wrote: 01 Aug 2020, 08:09 Grounding onself in your surroundings with three steps;
-touch
-see
-hear
Find three things around you and describe them.
I found that very helpful.

Yawn. It is very effective way of calming!!

There is also progressive muscle relaxations when you tense and relax your muscles.

I liked the part of breathing it is described really well. I also would just add. Lying on the floor putting hand on stomach and just slowly breathing. You can also count to five breaths. Nothing higher because your brain will wonder off.

There are some emotional coping skills that I think will not help only with anxiety but to stay metaly healthy;
-jornaling
-making a grateful list
-pray
-having a playlist of music
-taking about our emotions
-allow yourself to cry
-write a song
As someone who takes joy into writing music, I love how you brought that up because I tell people that sometimes when you cannot put your thoughts into words you sort of have to start singing at people- and also if you ever publish your music, it actually unites people. I just wanted to point this out because many people limit the therapeutic properties of music to just listening to it.
That is awesome. I do strongly believe, that every outlet that everyone finds that works for them, helps immensely to let go of our pent up emotions. Many are often discouraged think they are not good at it so why try. I say do it, just for yourself.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Cyrus Michino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyrus-michino.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Cyrus Michino »

Personally, I don't think it's a question of methods not mentioned, rather how we can implement the mentioned methods in the book to combat stress and anxiety.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: El espejismo
Bookshelf Size: 2412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: The Perfect Life by Anne Callahan

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 15:16
Lunastella wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 12:55 As many members have mentioned, creative outlets are a great way to reduce anxiety. Crafting, coloring, crocheting, or whatever you enjoy can help a lot!
Yes, you are definitely right. My mom swears by knitting. She says that is very relaxing. I think the key is to find right method for yourself.
Yes! My mom and aunts swear by knitting too, but I find it unnerving. However, I love to draw. It's a matter of finding what works for you.

Return to “Discuss "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD”