Should Parents answer their children's question about sexual topics honestly?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2023 Book of the Month, Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude: Human Ethics by Anthony A. Morris.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=550484

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Cheryl Erickson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Re: Should Parents answer their children's question about sexual topics honestly?

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

I believe that parents should always answer their child's questions about sex. Parents need to remember to answer appropriately according to the age of a child. There are also many terrific books available for different ages of children that have great information and illustrations to help them learn about their bodies and how they interact with others.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: El espejismo
Bookshelf Size: 2412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: The Perfect Life by Anne Callahan
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I think the clue lies in your statement, "based on their age and their ability to understand." I believe in honesty, but I also think there's overexplaining. A 4-year-old won't need or be able to grasp the nuances as an older kid could. Also, some kids mature sooner or later than others. That said, I think the clue lies in always having open channels of honest, respectful communication for when more complicated questions arise.
Yasmine M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 24%

Post by Yasmine M »

Parents should be able to discuss any topic with their children, including the topic of sex, at least once. Of course, the details given to the children must be age appropriate. It might be awkward for both parents and children but think of this: should a child be the target of inappropriate sexual advances or should he/she be the victim of abuse, they must know they can open up to their parents because there is no forbidden topic between them.
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Danielle Briggs wrote: 05 Jan 2023, 10:40 I agree that parents should be honest with their children about sexual topics and try to explain things in a way they would understand. I think this would prevent confusion as children get older, and it could also help children recognize what is okay and not okay earlier. Honesty can also be helpful to children who are abused or assaulted since they can describe what is happening to them using real terms instead of the nicknames people use instead.
Absolutely! Being able to tell what they are going through is of the utmost importance! Thanks for commenting!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda wrote: 07 Jan 2023, 21:42 I think the clue lies in your statement, "based on their age and their ability to understand." I believe in honesty, but I also think there's overexplaining. A 4-year-old won't need or be able to grasp the nuances as an older kid could. Also, some kids mature sooner or later than others. That said, I think the clue lies in always having open channels of honest, respectful communication for when more complicated questions arise.
I agree about the lines of communication being open. Children need to know they can ask you anything, and you won't be angry or belittling them for their questions! As you mentioned above, there is a fine line between answering their questions honestly and overexplaining! Thanks for commenting!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Cheryl Erickson wrote: 07 Jan 2023, 15:12 I believe that parents should always answer their child's questions about sex. Parents need to remember to answer appropriately according to the age of a child. There are also many terrific books available for different ages of children that have great information and illustrations to help them learn about their bodies and how they interact with others.
I agree, age-appropriate books is a great way to teach younger children! Thanks for commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Yasmine M wrote: 08 Jan 2023, 05:41 Parents should be able to discuss any topic with their children, including the topic of sex, at least once. Of course, the details given to the children must be age appropriate. It might be awkward for both parents and children but think of this: should a child be the target of inappropriate sexual advances or should he/she be the victim of abuse, they must know they can open up to their parents because there is no forbidden topic between them.
Yes, we should arm our children with the knowledge so they know they can tell us if anything happens! Thanks for commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Tracy Harris 1 wrote: 05 Jan 2023, 21:04 I think you should be honest with children's queries and in this day and age educate them, as well as yourself, as much as possible. This of course does need to be age appropriate for the child but open and honest communication is key to any relationship, including that of parent to child
[/q
So true! Thanks for commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Pauline Parnell wrote: 05 Jan 2023, 15:41 Parents should always be honest, even when talking about the birds and the bees. The older generation is more dovish on the subject of sex than the younger generation. With the technological race going on, everyone must be up-to-speed when discussing sexual activities with their children. If we are not, then the internet will do so for us.
Ypu are so right! Better the parent than the internet! Thanks for commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Tracy Harris 1 wrote: 05 Jan 2023, 21:04 I think you should be honest with children's queries and in this day and age educate them, as well as yourself, as much as possible. This of course does need to be age appropriate for the child but open and honest communication is key to any relationship, including that of parent to child
I do agree! Thanks for commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Ogunkoya Mayowa wrote: 06 Jan 2023, 00:05 I believe a parent should answer their children's questions about sex because if they were to learn it from their mate or another person outside it will be more dangerous. This doesn't mean parents should give a lot of details about this, it has to be a moderate and straight-to-the-point answer.
Excellent thought! Thanks for commenting!
B. Creech
Israel10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-israel10.html
Latest Review: Creating Wellbeing and Building Resilience in the Veterinary Profession by Sonja A. Olson, DVM

Post by Israel10 »

I certainly do think in this regard that honesty is the best policy when answering curious questions from your children regarding sexuality however, this honesty should be doled out progressively according to their current ability to understand.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Photofinish by Cheryl Kerr
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Laney K »

I feel like in general out right lying to kids is never good especially in an age where it is really easy to look up information.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

I do agree with this, although age also does play a big role in this. At a too young age, I also believe this can create n curiosity that shouldn't be there yet, although, in today's life, children sometimes know more than I do as an adult. So honesty is definite, but look at how you word it.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: Shadow Eclipse Voyage by E. M. Gale
fav_author_id: 2379
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Salah bourouba »

For usas Muslims we. Don't have this problem because we are not allowed to perform physical intimacy until we get married. However I woulde definitely explain a general idea to my kids. It's better for them to hear from me in the correct way. Rathér then their friends or the internet who would have many outrageous ideas and temptation that i would be sorry for later. So I agree with the author very much.
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq

Return to “Discuss "Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude: Human Ethics" by Anthony A. Morris”